*This posting is not exclusively for the Salt Lake City area. Your current location, experience, and other factors will help us determine where you will be located with Layton Construction for our projects throughout the country. *
The Superintendent is responsible for the daily operation of a job site, including scheduling, production, and procurement of materials, manpower, and equipment. Supervises all direct labor positions on the assigned project. Manages and oversees any contracted work on the site to ensure successful project completion.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Studies specifications to plan procedures for construction on basis of starting and completion times and staffing requirements for each phase of construction, based on knowledge of available tools and equipment and various building methods.
- Interacts with the Project Manager to determine the project schedule; develops and utilizes "look ahead" schedules to assess progress and spot upcoming issues.
- Coordinates the pre-construction meeting with the Project Manager prior to mobilization.
- Directs procurement of tools and materials to be delivered at specified times to conform to work schedules.
- Ensures all parties involved with the project are informed of construction issues and progress: (1) meets with and directs supervisory personnel engaged in planning and executing work procedures, interpreting specifications, and coordinating various phases of construction to prevent delays; (2) meets regularly with craft personnel to update them on construction issues and to gather input for solutions; (3) meets with subcontractors prior to the sub's mobilization to review scope of work and schedule; also, advises subs prior to each phase of work on schedule and phasing requirements; and (4) meets regularly with clients to update them on the project's progress.
- Works with supervisory personnel and labor representatives to resolve complaints and grievances within the project work force.
- Confers with supervisory and engineering personnel and/or inspectors and suppliers of tools and materials to resolve construction problems and to improve construction methods.
- Inspects work in progress to ensure that work conforms to specifications and to construction schedules.
- Manages the project based on progress reports, materials used, and costs and adjusts work schedules accordingly. (New construction superintendents only.)
- Works with the Manager of Craft Resources to move personnel from project to project, minimizing hiring and layoffs; is responsible for crew mixes and work assignments to manage labor costs; may terminate company craft personnel not performing according to company policies, procedures, or other job requirements.
- Works in conjunction with project manager in preparing the Project Management Plan.
- Ensures that company policies, such as safety policies, equal opportunity, and others, are implemented consistently. Ensures company quality standards and housekeeping requirements are maintained.
- May track and price extra work tickets, change requests and back charges to cover extra expenses. (Layton Interior Construction Specialists superintendents only)
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or construction related field or equivalent and at least 5 years commercial construction experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of construction processes.
- Has a valid driver's license.
- Is able to travel to and from the project site.
- Understands and applies building codes and other design requirements correctly.
- Reads blueprints accurately.
- Has good understanding and knowledge of subcontractors' scopes of work and tolerances.
- Has good written and verbal communication skills: expresses ideas clearly and effectively; uses proper grammar and syntax.
- Has good finish carpentry skills relevant to commercial interior work; install finishes to specifications as needed. (Layton Interiors Construction Specialists superintendents only)
- Has good administrative skills: monitors the progress and coordination of work activities; keeps other members of the organization informed of progress and problems.
- Has good management skills: establishes techniques to effectively and proactively monitor and supervise the work of subordinates and to follow up on the results of delegated assignments.
- Maintains integrity: maintains the normal standards of ethics, conduct, and organizational policies in job-related activities.
- Has excellent problem solving ability: finds and uses relationships between data from different sources to formulate alternative solutions.
- Is a team player: works well with other people; takes time to help co-workers, customers, subcontractors and others achieve their goals and assignments.
- Maintains good interpersonal relationships: uses tact; is sensitive to the feelings and needs of others.
- Is organized: establishes priorities and a course of action for handling multiple tasks.
- Plans effectively: establishes courses of action for self and for others; allocates resources and assigns personnel; uses time efficiently; is personally well-organized.
- Is professional: displays appropriate appearance and professional conduct; makes a good impression on others.
- Shows initiative: actively tries to influence events to achieve goals; is a self-starter, working well with minimal supervision; strives to achieve goals beyond minimal levels of performance.
- Has the ability to operate office equipment, such as fax, copier, and telephone. Can use spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Basic Spanish preferred.
- Knowledge and use of CMiC preferred.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL - Layton Construction embraces federal employment guidelines regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action. It is the policy of Layton Construction to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees. Layton Construction is an affirmative action employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status in any condition of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, training and promotion.