At Nelson Laboratories, a Sotera Health Company, our employees are part of an industry-leading, global provider of sterility assurance, medical device evaluation services and expert advisory services.
Our employees receive competitive pay, growth and learning opportunities, insurance benefits, tuition reimbursement, paid holidays, time-off and the opportunity to attend many company-sponsored employee and family events.
Nelson Labs employees play a critical role in reaching our mission of: Safeguarding Global Health.
The Senior Lab Operations Manager is primarily focused on the business & strategic oversight of a department and day-to-day operations, including resource & staffing needs. Additionally, the Senior Lab Operations Manager is accountable for regulatory compliance, policy & procedural compliance, and oversight of technical issues relating to tests conducted in the department.
Education and Experience
- Applicable experience Automating and Standardizing existing process across multiple teams
- Demonstrated track record of building a team, leading a group of directs/indirects and leaders
- Must be Autonomous Self-motivated - capable of taking minimal information, asking the right questions, an studying processes with staff to identify key areas of improvement
- Bachelors is a MUST 2+ years leadership experience
- P&L Experience
- Highly preferred science background, terms and exposure
- Science degree preferred or related
- Any applicable process trainings Six Sigma, 5S, Kaizen
Essential Job Duties
Department Level Operations & Strategic Oversight
- Lead the competitive advantage efforts of your business area with tracking and improvement of the department's key performance indicators (quality, utilization, turnaround times, etc.) and objectives in accordance with Nelson Labs' performance goals.
- Lead the effort to improve and maintain quality of services by trending quality issues and by developing action plans with the Quality Assurance Department and employees.
- Work cross-functionally with the Sales and Consulting teams to grow the business offerings of your laboratory and increase profitable volume growth.
- Work with the Director of Laboratory Operations (DLO) to execute the Nelson Labs' business unit strategy and ensure alignment with our One Company values, mission, and goals. This includes:Customer focus to enhance customers' service experience, including service delivery (turnaround times).
- Ensure the NL service standard is known and practiced.
- Lead the emphasis to leverage systems and drive overall competitiveness.
- Intervene to address escalated client issues.
- Talent Management/Manage direct reports as they work to carry out the profitable volume growth, quality, service delivery, employee engagement and other department objectives.
- Regularly meet one on one with direct reports. Ensure that personnel receive adequate communication and direction to perform their job functions by setting clear performance standards and expectations
- Work with the HR team to develop succession plans for SME and key roles to maintain business continuity
- Partner with the HR team to retain talent
- Support the focus on manager development.
- Preserve the company focus on data and personal integrity. Ensure regulatory compliance is maintained.
- Guide implementation of all company safety initiatives.
- Operational Excellence working with VP Operations & SLT
- Understand and manage business unit P&L, budget and financial metrics.
- Plan for business resources, personnel, CapEx using financial models and ROI.
- Maintain and monitor production metrics in accordance with NL performance goals.
- Scheduling - optimize testing workflow across departments and ensure resources and personnel are adequate to accomplish the work in process and to meet business needs with client expectations for delivery and service.
- Work on continuous improvement to increase efficiencies and reduce waste.
- Manage and control expenditures within agreed upon budgets.
- Manage utilization and key production metrics with visibility to staff
- Oversee the development and execution of the section training program to ensure resource availability and business continuity
- Manage and forecast supply chain to minimize or eliminate testing interruptions.
- Support the DLOs and other leaders during mergers or acquisitions; provide support to key stakeholders to ensure that integration of new sites is successful.
- Coordinate cross-functional efforts with internal departments
- Know and follow applicable regulatory requirements (GMP, GLP, ISO, etc.).
- Know and follow company policies and procedures.
- Complete required training on time.
- Attend work regularly and reliably.
- Adhere to all policies and procedures.
Perform other duties as assigned
- Strong people management capability
- Ability to manage priorities and organize time
- Good communication skills - written and verbal
- Problem solving - employee issues, laboratory processes, customer challenges
- Must be able to work cross functionally and break down silos to ensure we deliver an excellent customer experience.
- Be a change advocate
- Strong project management abilities
- Persuasion and negotiation skills with staff at all levels of the organization
Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, especially with Excel and Outlook
This job operates in a professional office and lab environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, keyboards, computer mouse, phones, photocopiers, projectors and file cabinets. This role occasionally enters into the lab to perform work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to perform the essential job functions. Must be able to move/traverse 10% of the day and remain in a stationary sitting/standing position at a desk while using a computer, keyboard, computer mouse and phone 90% of the day. This position does not require heavy lifting greater than 50lbs.