A Senior Estimator manages and assists in the compilation of estimates for various projects and is responsible for cost accuracy. A Senior Estimator gives appropriate responses to the Owner=s requirements and maintains a high level of professionalism in estimating. A Senior Estimator reports to the SBU Executive; alternatively, the Senior Estimator may report to the Chief Estimator at the SBU Executives direction.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares estimates and supplementary information for potential projects.
- Reads, understands and offers improvements to the contract documents (plans, specifications & addenda). Offers Value-Engineering and Life-Cycle cost options for review.
- Performs quantity take-offs, organizes, prices and analyzes information.
- Solicits bids and quotes from subcontractors and suppliers. Creates listings of appropriate contacts for specific projects.
- Communicates with subs and suppliers to clarify pricing information. Determines the suitability and competitive stance of subs and suppliers.
- Prepares and analyzes estimate formats in such areas as general conditions, general bidding, quantity takeoffs and bid analysis.
- Is responsible for the preparation of bid proposal for submittal.
- Attends Owner meetings during estimate development.
- Prepares detailed schedules for proposed projects.
- Initiates various special projects related to estimating. Assists and guides staff
- towards completion of special projects.
- Initiates schematic plans or sketches to illustrate approach and strategy.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or construction related field or equivalent education and experience.
- Over five years experience in estimating commercial construction projects, demonstrating competence in hard-bid, design-build, and conceptual estimating.
- Excellent working knowledge of Timberline, Excel, and Word software.
- Ability to work under pressure, meets tight deadlines, and coordinate team members.
- Has integrity: maintains normal standards of ethics, conduct, and organizational policies in job-related activities.
- Ability to operate office equipment, computer, printer, phone, copier, fax, etc.
- Effective written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Excellent knowledge of construction practices, methods, trends and crew data.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD or Primavera systems.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL - Layton Construction embraces federal employment guidelines regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action. It is the policy of Layton Construction to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees. Layton Construction is an affirmative action employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status in any condition of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, training and promotion.