*This posting is not exclusively for the Salt Lake City area. Your current location, experience, and other factors will help us determine where you will be located with Layton Construction for our projects throughout the country. *
The Project Manager is responsible for the overall planning, management, and execution of work for assigned construction projects. May be assigned responsibility for one or more projects at a time. Maximizes project profitability and promote the Layton objectives and goals. Achieves quality and safety standards and meets owner expectations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in the preparation of estimates for the project.
- Prepares project budgets and unit cost reports.
- Leads the project team in preparing the project management plan (PMP).
- Participates in value engineering services as appropriate.
- Organizes and conducts pre-award and pre-construction meetings.
- Participates in the negotiation and preparation of project subcontracts.
- Participates in obtaining permits and resolving other regulatory requirements as necessary.
- Prepares a project schedule and develops milestones necessary to successfully complete the project in concert with the project superintendent.
- Obtains plans and specifications and determines their completeness and consistency.
- Assists business development personnel as requested.
- Plans the successful execution of the construction contract.
- Manages project materials and equipment procurement within the project's budget constraints and consistent with the project delivery schedule.
- Develops and monitors project quality, safety, and risk management plans.
- Monitors the project site for cost, safety, quality, and schedule performance with the project superintendent.
- Evaluates the schedule as necessary to meet milestones and financial goals.
- Negotiates owner and subcontractor change orders and manages the resulting cost and profit impact.
- Develops the monthly client pay requests and follows up on collection.
- Controls the payment of job costs based on document review and approval. Coordinates with the job cost accountant for payments and lien releases.
- Participates in monthly job cost reviews to declare project status.
- Attends and documents owner and other coordination meetings.
- Coordinates all final close out procedures for the project including as-built drawings,
- close out, letter of substantial completion, and letter of recommendation.
- Interacts with Estimating to provide project cost information for the estimating database.
- Directs organization and preparation of all project documents for storage.
- Participates in PM training.
- Interacts with all company departments to ensure company policy and procedures are carried out and corporate objectives achieved.
- Uses tact to maintain relationships with vendors, owners, architects, community and state officials and the general public.
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering, construction management or related field, or the equivalent education and experience.
- Minimum of four or more years project management experience.
- Has a valid driver's license and a good driving record.
- Has an in-depth knowledge of commercial construction processes.
- Understands estimating concepts to the level required to verify bids, understand market rates, and to process change orders, etc.
- Understands contractual language and concepts and how to protect the company while providing quality service to the client.
- Has a working knowledge of construction laws and practices.
- Understands building codes and other design requirements to the extent necessary for the project.
- Reads and understands plans, blueprints, and specifications.
- Has high standards of ethical conduct regarding organizational policies.
- Knows how to use effective interpersonal communication skills such as sensitivity and discernment.
- Effective working as a team member to achieve organizational and customer goals.
- Skilled at making verbal presentations. Demonstrates poise and mastery of language.
- Uses proper grammar and syntax when writing.
- Knows how to delegate. Uses subordinates effectively.
- Can discern customer needs. Determines which needs can reasonably be met, then follows through.
- Knows how to present a professional demeanor in dress and speech. Makes a positive impression on customers.
- Has strong negotiation skills.
- Knows how to analyze data and use the analysis to solve problems.
- Knows how to manage processes to achieve challenging goals. Is a self-starter. Works independently.
- Knows how to operate office equipment, such as computer, printer, phone, copier, fax, etc.
- Professional affiliation (e.g., AGC member) and professional credentials (e.g., Professional Engineer (PE)) preferred.
- Community service participation preferred.
- Ability to speak basic Spanish commands, questions, and instructions regarding construction preferred.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL - Layton Construction embraces federal employment guidelines regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action. It is the policy of Layton Construction to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees. Layton Construction is an affirmative action employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status in any condition of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, training and promotion.