Location: Kanab, Utah (Relocation Assistance Available)
The Director of Best Friends' Visitor Experience is responsible for modeling and sharing our Best Friends culture of warm, welcoming hospitality with our visitors and guests at every touch point. The Director leads the Welcome Center teams to welcome, engage and build relationships with our visitors and guests to connect them with the heart of our mission.Our ability to welcome visitors and guests into the Best Friends family and connect them with our lifesaving work by providing positive visitor experiences is critical to Best Friends' vision, mission and goals.The director manages the day-to-day operations of the visitor experience including welcoming visitors and guests, lodging, cafeteria, conducting tours, promoting memberships, driving adoptions and other lifesaving work, and overseeing the gift shop ambassadors and switchboard. Ideally, we provide personalized experiences and engagement for every visitor and guest responding to all inquiries for information, tours, adoptions and fostering. Every visitor and guest present an opportunity for us to educate, motivate and inspire them to become ambassadors for our cause and to help us Save Them All.
- Work with senior leadership to create and implement effective strategic plans to enhance hospitality services, membership conversion, adoptions etc.
- This role manages a staff of 50+ along with growing support for team from volunteers.
- Manage day-to-day operations of the visitor experience including tours, reception areas, housekeeping, lodging, cafeteria, switchboard etc.
- Lead a staff of exemplary ambassadors for Best Friends and ensure that exceptional hospitality and visitor engagement is maintained throughout all departments.
- Collaborate with visitor experience leadership to develop and implement strategic plans and initiatives for achievement of visitor and hospitality goals.
- Create and sustain an environment that delivers excellent hospitality and optimal visitor experiences.
- Develop new and innovative plans, amenities and activities that will best serve our staff and our growing numbers of visitors and guests.
- Create opportunities and activities to broaden and deepen visitor and guest connections with Best Friends Animal Society.
- Anticipate guest and visitor needs in all areas. Deliver on those needs and prevent issues from arisen. When issues arise, solve them quickly and professionally.
- Inspire visitors and guests to take action and support our work in their home communities.
- Meet regularly with animal care, development, marketing and other stakeholders to share information and collaborate on projects and events that will optimize hospitality services and the overall visitor experience.
- Work with visitor experience leadership to create annual budgets in support of departmental goals.
- Develop, implement and steward policies, procedures and protocols for tours, membership promotion, reception, and switchboard.
- Track all departmental goals and outcomes and report ongoing status.
- Review and prepare financial and statistical reports for senior management.
- Ensure that all visitor information and data systems are accurately maintained, and that staff are trained on accurate data-entry and reporting.
- Work with visitor experience leadership and Best Friends marketing to develop promotional campaigns, collateral materials and special offers.
- Provide training and mentoring for Sanctuary Ambassadors on hospitality best practices, protocols, and processes. Analyze visitor feedback and provide strategic direction for continuous improvement.
- Communicate clear and explicit departmental goals to staff while creating a level of commitment towards achieving those goals.
- Responsible for hiring and training Sanctuary ambassadors, gift shop ambassadors, lodging staff, housekeeping staff, and switchboard.
- Provide ongoing feedback around motivation, staff performance and conduct performance reviews and HR disciplinary actions for staff.
- Ensure Sanctuary Ambassadors have current information and resources.
- Organize and coordinate operations, equipment and supplies for maximum efficiency.
- Collaborate with other departments, divisions and Founders in support of customized VIP tours.
- Prioritize, assign and review tasks for all teams.
- Ensure safety protocols and practices are followed by staff and guests.
- Ensure that staff understands, upholds and promotes Best Friends policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all staff are cross-trained as appropriate.
- Ensure that tour vans and vehicles are fully functional, safe, clean and guest ready.
- Be on call for after-hours cottage/cabin questions and issues.
- Responsible for daily deposits of memberships and donations.
- Participate in new employee orientations and in representing the Welcome Center, and switchboard departments in our divisional on boarding programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proven positive leadership skills with the ability to motivate, educate and inspire staff.
- Demonstrated leadership experience is non-profit management preferred.
- Must maintain a professional work environment.
- Must demonstrate a solid understanding of hospitality procedures and best practices.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to multi-task amid changing priorities. Must be an excellent problem-solver who can provide appropriate solutions within a customer-focused framework.
- Excellent organizational skills and continual attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Positive, professional team player who relates well to visitors and staff.
- Demonstrated aptitude for clear, professional communication, both verbal and written.
- Attentive and active listener with a positive, outgoing approach to engaging guests.
- Genuine passion for the mission of Best Friends Animal Society.
- Ability to articulate and advocate Best Friends mission and message.
- Proficiency with a variety of computer software applications including Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Must have a valid driver's license and a clean driving record.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Extended periods of time working on the computer with repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.