To be part of a veterinary team to provide high quality, high-volume spay and neuter surgeries and veterinary services, which includes administering vaccines, medications, and other basic medical care for animals in care at the Best Friends' Lifesaving Center and Best Friends Kitten Care Center. Includes assisting in veterinarian rounds and foster and post adoption medical appointments.
- Perform basic medical care, including but not limited to: intravenous injections, blood draws, medicating, vaccinating, nail trims, subcutaneous fluids, endotracheal intubation, catheter placement, and microchipping under the direction of the staff veterinarian, Spay and Neuter Services Manager, and supervisor.
- Have comprehensive knowledge of veterinary anesthesia to include sterile technique, basic knowledge of surgical instruments, and general pharmacology.
- Familiarity with patient monitoring equipment and general knowledge of animal physiology required.
- Induce animals for surgery, monitor during anesthesia, and assist with surgical recovery.
- Responsible for maintaining the control substance logs in adherence to Best Friends and DEA policies when needed.
- Actively promote early spay and neuter in dogs and cats to prevent pet overpopulation and educate clients on vaccinations and other preventive care when needed.
- Perform daily cleaning and disinfecting of kennels, equipment, and clinic work spaces, along with wrapping surgical packs.
- Perform daily vaccine and medical treatments for Best Friends' animals in care, assist with medical and vaccine foster and post adoption appointments, and assist in veterinarian rounds.
- Responsible for patient and client medical data entry to include detailed and accurate medical records and client information.
- Use merchant service system to accept and process payments, donations, and balance client accounts.
- Work, interact, and direct volunteers while promoting a positive work environment.
- On a rotating basis be responsible for the aftercare client support line, this will include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Other duties as assigned. Must be able to drive to the Best Friends Spay and Neuter Clinic in Orem if needed for relief tech work.
Skills & Experience
- A minimum one year working experience as a Veterinary Technician or equivalent work experience in an animal welfare or nonprofit setting.
- Proficiency with a variety of computer tools such as Microsoft office suite, google suite of applications, and veterinary practice management software
- Proven ability to promote a positive work environment. Represent the clinic in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
- Ability to effectively and safely handle dogs and cats with varying temperaments and medical conditions. Ability to communicate professionally and be able to provide excellent customer service to a diverse public via phone, written communication, and in person.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Ability to maintain attention to detail, while fostering a cooperative work environment in a fast-paced clinic setting with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Ability to professionally advocate on Best Friends Animal Society's positions on issue and policies
- Valid Driver's License. Will need to travel between Best Friends Spay and Neuter Clinic locations or other work facilities.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule, may include evenings, weekends and, nights and holiday work.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, arm, and hand motion.
- Must be able to routinely lift 75 - 100 pounds.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including but not limited to: walking, lifting, carrying, reaching, climbing ladders, twisting, stooping, squatting, cleaning and bending
- Ability to work in all types of temperatures and settings, including extreme heat and cold.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition