Responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of our high volume spay/neuter clinic. Work as a member of the team, while supervising veterinary technicians and volunteers in accordance to protocols and procedures.
- Work in conjunction with the Veterinary Services Manager to oversee veterinary technician performance including but not limited to:
- Oversee training all new and current staff
- Conflict resolution
- Identify and address employee relations issues
- Identify, address, and evaluate staff performance
- Present recommendations to the manager about staff performance and training needs.
- Oversee ADP, payroll hours, and staff scheduling
- Oversee daily operations to ensure staff adherence to all program procedures and protocols.
- Lead onsite volunteer program which includes working with assigned staff on volunteer projects and training. Handle volunteer dissatisfaction and issues promptly and appropriately.
- Manage onsite inventory and ordering of all supplies.
- Report all equipment and maintenance issues in a timely fashion to the Veterinary Services Manager.
- In conjunction with the Veterinary Services Manager, maintain Best Friends Animal Society's safety and risk management requirements, ensuring the clinic is compliant with all state and federal laws.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervise and perform all the activities of the vet techs which include:
- Perform basic medical care, including but not limited to: intravenous injections, blood draws, medicating, vaccinating, nail trims, subcutaneous fluids, endotracheal intubation, catheter placement, and microchipping under the direction of the staff veterinarian, Veterinary Services Manager, and supervisor.
- Have comprehensive knowledge of veterinary anesthesia to include sterile technique, basic knowledge of surgical instruments, and general pharmacology.
- Familiarity with patient monitoring equipment and general knowledge of animal physiology required.
- Induce animals for surgery, monitor during anesthesia, and assist with surgical recovery.
- Responsible for maintaining the control substance logs in adherence to Best Friends and DEA policies when needed.
- Actively promote early spay and neuter in dogs and cats to prevent pet overpopulation and educate clients on vaccinations and other preventive care.
- Perform daily cleaning and disinfecting of kennels, equipment, and clinic work spaces, along with wrapping surgical packs.
- Responsible for patient and client data entry to include detailed and accurate medical records and client information.
- Use merchant service system to accept and process payments, donations, and balance client accounts.
- Work, interact, and direct volunteers while promoting a positive work environment.
- On a rotating basis be responsible for the aftercare client support line, this will include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 4-5 years working experience as a veterinary technician or equivalent work experience in an animal welfare or nonprofit setting. A minimum of one year experience managing staff or projects, preferably in an animal welfare environment.
- Proficiency with a variety of computer tools such as Microsoft office suite, google suite of applications, and veterinary practice management software.
- Proven ability to promote a positive work environment. Represent the clinic in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
- Ability to effectively and safely handle dogs and cats with varying temperaments and medical conditions.
- Ability to communicate professionally and be able to provide excellent customer service to a diverse public via phone, written communication, and in person.
- Ability to maintain attention to detail, while fostering a cooperative work environment in a fast-paced clinic setting with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Ability to professionally advocate on Best Friends Animal Society's positions on issues and policies.
- Flexible work schedule required to answer questions or calls from veterinary technician staff.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations, including diffusing difficult client scenarios, while maintaining a positive and professional attitude.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment with all clinic staff.
- Valid driver's license; Will need to travel between Best Friends Spay and Neuter Clinic locations and other work facilities
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule, may include evenings, weekends, night, and holiday work.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, arm, and hand motion.
- Must be able to routinely lift 75 - 100 pounds.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including but not limited to: walking, lifting, carrying, reaching, climbing ladders, twisting, stooping, squatting, cleaning, and bending.
- Ability to work in all types of temperatures and settings, including extreme heat and cold.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.