Location: Kanab, Utah
Position Summary: Work closely with Veterinarians, Veterinary Technicians, Senior Technicians, Team Leader, and Clinic support staff to provide medical care to all patients seen by the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary Clinic. Assist Veterinarians, Senior Technicians and Veterinary technicians in treating the injuries and illness of Clinic patients. Medical care provided by a Veterinary Assistant must be performed with an understanding of the procedure and general guidance of a Veterinary Technician or Senior Technician.
- Communicate professionally and with a high level of customer service to Clients, Veterinary staff, Management and other Sanctuary departments regarding all job responsibilities, especially the health of clinic patients.
- Maintain the ability to follow policies and procedures set by the Medical Director and Clinic Manager.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding patient status/treatment, client information and other sensitive clinic operations.
- Have a basic working knowledge of common medical terminology, transcription and data entry.
- Maintain appropriate standard of care protocols: clean housing, fresh food, fresh water, clean litter box, new bedding, walking patients.
- Provide medical care and handling for animals that have significant behavioral issues which can include but not limited to shyness, fearfulness and aggression.
- Independently perform proper and humane medical restraint techniques for multiple species.
- Have the ability to learn basic medical skills associated with triage, emergencies, hospitalized patients (follow and maintain a hospitalized patient treatment sheet) and common diagnostic procedures.
- Have the ability to learn basic surgical skills associated with anesthesia and surgical procedures: instruments, sterile technique, surgical induction/recovery.
- Perform husbandry, appointment duties, assist with phlebotomy, lab work (internal/external), radiology, pharmacy duties, and laser treatment.
- Assist with preparing laboratory testing: cbc, chemistry panels, urinalysis/fecal analysis, etc.
- Triage and discharge (including home treatments, medications, and follow-up) routine medical and surgical patients.
- Assist with physical therapy, laser treatments, surgical prep, equipment maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Prior experience working in an animal care related field.
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates approachability when dealing with the general public. Experience in interacting with the general public (customer service) preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- Demonstrates ability to handle animals in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings and perspectives of others.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills. Strong listening skills.
- Experience with or ability to learn Microsoft Word and Excel, google calendar, docs and email and ADP.
- Able and willing to professionally advocate Best Friends and the Best Friends Medical team position on issues.
- Willing to work on weekends/holidays/varying shift times.
- Must want to work to further your own learning by asking questions and doing personal research.
- Ability to lift and handle animals of varying sizes and species, bending, stooping, and walking on a daily basis.
- Must be able to perform strenuous manual labor. Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Must be able to work out of doors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to 100 degrees.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, hike, walk, kneel, and lift.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, or domestic partner status.