Location: Kanab, Utah - Best Friends Animal Sanctuary
Summary: This role oversees the development of Best Friends Animal Society's behavior and training programs in support of Best Friends no kill mission. This position is the Sanctuary based training and behavior resource for Best Friends' regional centers, national programs, and Network Partners relating to dogs.
Purpose: This role under the leadership of the Director of Dogtown and working in partnership with Dogtown Team members, develops and implements training and behavior plans to increase dog's adoptability and provide continued enrichment and quality of care while at the sanctuary. Supervising Training and Behavior Specialists to ensure workflows and staff assignments to reach their peak lifesaving potential.
- Under the direction of the Director of Dogtown, promote lifesaving objectives throughout the department, coordinating behavioral assessments during admission process, care plans, and training plans that reduce the length of stay for each animal.
- Collaborate with the outcomes and marketing teams, sanctuary and other Lifesaving Center leadership, to share training program success and highlight special achievements in promotion of these animals for adoption
Leadership & Program
- Explore and propose methods for solving behavior problems, propose, design and implement programs, research projects, and study methodology for Dogtown and other areas as needed to the benefit of the no kill movement.
- Recruit, hire, lead and manage staff, volunteers, and interns (or others), including establishing job descriptions, daily workflow and tasks, and all aspects of personnel development.
- Collaborate with Best Friends' veterinary department, and other organizations with proper licensing where required, to explore pharmacological, dietary, auditory, and other tools, equipment or techniques for changing behavior where approved by Best Friends.
- Build training capabilities of the Dogtown Lifesaving and Care Specialists by creating and leading internal training programs to further promote positive outcomes our animals.
- Work with various data collection tools to assist in capturing metrics of success and collaborate with the Director, Dogtown to ensure programs are increasing outcomes and/or promoting quality of life while at the sanctuary.
- Work collaboratively, and with a positive attitude, with all Best Friends' department teams for the care, benefit, promotion and ultimate outcome for animals in our care.
- Serve as a key representative of the Sanctuary lifesaving team re: public presentations, relevant email correspondence, shelter / rescue group consultations, etc. With an ability to professionally represent Best Friends' position on issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Experience:
- 2 - 4 years professional leadership/management experience required with a background working with dog populations in group housing or sheltering living situations preferred
- 4 - 6 years professional dog training experience with an understanding of training, behavior, and enrichment preferably in a shelter environment, credentials preferred.
- Dog training and behavior knowledge to include theory, training techniques, and the ability to assess and evaluate new training methods and equipment in animal shelters with measurable outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects in various stages of development, each with a unique timeline; ability to manage change and lead teams through change.
- Customer-centric, non-judgmental approach to engaging with adopters, partners, visitors, volunteers, and colleagues; familiarity and comfort with an open adoption process.
- Resourceful, get-it-done attitude; initiative to assist in any area or process; problem solving, seeking answers independently and enthusiastically; flexibility to persist until lifesaving outcome goals are achieved.
- Strong interpersonal skills, a team player, personable, professional, and able to get along with people from different backgrounds, as well as the ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Abilityto work in a fast-paced environment withwell-developedorganization skillsto juggle multiple competing tasks and demands
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products; familiarity with shelter software (Best Friends usesShelterluv), or desire to learn.
Physical & Other Requirements:
- Must be able to:
- Routinely lift 65 pounds and perform daily strenuous activity including, but not limited to lifting, carrying, reaching, stooping, squatting, cleaning, and bending.
- Work at a computer or driving a car for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, sitting, arm, and hand motion.
- Work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditionsincluding extreme heat and cold.
- Daily exposure to dogs, cats and other animals of all sizes, temperaments, and medical status.
- Ability to travel, including overnight stays,when needed.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule; position includes weekends, nights and holiday work.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.