Summary:LifesavingandCare Specialists play a direct role in achieving Best Friends Animal Society's no-kill mission and goal by providing the hands-on care for the animals at the sanctuary, working with all departments to find those animals homes wherever possible, and serving as mission andbrandambassadors for the tens of thousands of guests, volunteers, and adopters who visit the sanctuary annually.
Purpose:TheseCat Worldspecialists work within a team setting to oversee the health, wellbeing, and general care of cats. They have a unique role as the direct day-to-day connector between the animals in our care and our supporters. As such these specialists represent Best Friends through in-person work, conversations, demonstrations, tour presentations, and other activities.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Support lifesaving objectives throughout the department, providing feedback and support for outcome plans, assist with all aspects of the adoption process, regularly update animal photos and bios, provide superior customer service to visitors, volunteers, and adopters.
- Serve asa sanctuary ambassador, representingBest Friends'work tovisitors and volunteers, and speaking to the sanctuary'sspecialrole inBest Friends' no-kill goals.
- Support a "volunteers-first"teamgiving every volunteer the opportunityto maximize their skills and value towards Best Friends' lifesaving activities, and inspiring visitors to continue the work in their communities.
- Providefor the safety and hands-on training of volunteers, both individuals and groups,includingorienting them to the assigned area andtasks;answering questionsas needed.
- Greet and conduct tours, speak about specific animals, the work ofCat Worldand the sanctuary, answer questions and assist visitorswith their needs.
- Work alongsideand support interns, workshop attendees, and othercategories of visitors.
- Providebasic and routinecare for animalsper department guidelinesincludingbut not limited tofeeding, watering, transporting to appointments(clinic, hydrotherapy, grooming, etc.),and light grooming.
- Supportanimals withmedical issues,which may include zoonotic disease,by medicating,treating,preparing special diets, observing and reporting,and assisting in the maintenance of requiredveterinaryrecords.
- Providing socialization,enrichment, and exercisefor animals asoutlined by leadership;identifying behavioral issues and sharing observations with team membersand leaders;following behavior orotherplansas developed for the department or specificcats.
- Cleaning work areas and preserving physical appearance ofcatbuildings and grounds: scooping, raking, sweeping, shoveling, dusting, mopping, trash removal, scrubbing, weeding, etc., noting maintenanceor repairs needed and reportingperprotocol.
- Deliversuperior customer service relating to all visitors, adopters, fosters and transfer partners in a friendly, informative and professional manner.
- Follow Best Friends policies, procedures, and task lists for daily lifesaving outcome assignments; including accurate and timely communications, work completion, data entry, and recordkeeping.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills / Experience:
- Strong desire to work withcats. Previous experience a plus.
- Customer-centric, non-judgmental approach to engaging with adopters, partners, visitors, volunteers, and colleagues; familiarity and comfort with an open adoption process, experienceinteracting with the public (customer service) preferred.
- Ability to professionally speakaboutBest Friends activities and positions on issues.
- Ability to work with,crate, and handlecats, including those with health and/or behavior conditions/concernsincludingshyness, fearfulness, and aggression; basic ability to identify and speak to medical and behavioral characteristics ofcats.
- Resourceful, get-it-done attitude;ability to adopt to newwork areasor processes; problem solving, seeking answers independently and enthusiastically; flexibility to persist untildepartmentgoals are achieved.
- Strong interpersonal skills,positive attitude,a team player, personable, professional, and able to get along with people from different backgrounds.
- Abilityto work in a fast-paced environment withwell-developedorganization skillsto juggle multiple competing tasks and demands;withaccurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills;andstrong listening skills.
- Basic experiencewith Microsoft Office products; familiarity with shelter software (Best Friends usesShelterluv), or desire to learn.
- Must be able to:
- Routinely lift 65 pounds and perform daily strenuous activity including, but not limited to lifting, carrying, reaching, stooping, squatting, cleaning, and bending.
- Perform repetitive tasksfor extended periods of timeincluding typing,sitting, walking, arm, and hand motion.
- Work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions including extreme heat and cold.
- Daily exposure to dogs, cats and other animals of all sizes, temperaments, and medical status.
- Valid driver's license, ability to qualifyto be added to Best Friends insurance, ability to travel, including overnight stays, when needed.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule; position includes weekends, nights and holiday work.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.