Location: Kanab, Utah
The Team Lead of the Landscape Department is responsible for prioritizing and leading the daily/ weekly/ seasonal tasks to maintain and enhance both the landscaped and natural areas of the Sanctuary. The Team Lead is also responsible for assisting the Landscape Manager in delegating and coordinating the work of the department and ensuring it is completed in an efficient and high-quality manner.
- Responsible for directing the team on the day-to-day basis to provide daily care of the Sanctuary landscape
- Actively observe the work being performed by the team members and assist the Landscape Manager in the ongoing performance review process
- Ensure team members are delivering excellent grounds maintenance and plant care
- Participate in leadership and staff meetings to organize, prioritize and inform
- Prioritize, delegate and oversee landscape department functions including: mowing, weeding, tilling, and native planting
- Responsible for directing standards of tree care including planting, climbing, pruning, felling and performing work to ANSI A300 and Z133 standards
- Retrieve and assign customer work orders and inquiries from the Help Desk system in a timely manner
- Assist the Landscape Manager in purchasing and effectively managing the department's budget and resources
- Coordinate the Landscape Volunteer Program
- Teach new team members best practices for tree care, weed removal, chemical application, equipment operation and tool maintenance
- Provides support to the Irrigation Specialist
- Responsible for the safe operation of the landscape heavy equipment and ensuring proper maintenance
- Oversee in cooperation with the Landscape Manager the enforcement of safe work practices and ensure team compliance
- Assist the Landscape Manager with the planning, budgeting and installation of newly landscaped areas
- Lead staff in monthly Safety Meetings addressing all aspects of workplace health and safety in collaboration with the Senior Manager of Safety and Security
- Responsible for routine maintenance and upkeep of all tools and equipment
- Perform weed removal from public lawns, garden and rock beds, walkways, parking lots, animal areas and natural landscaped areas using power equipment, tools and hand removal
- Perform mowing and edging of lawns using gas and battery powered mowers and trimmers
- Responsible for our composting program utilizing both plant and animal waste
- Perform routine clean-up of all landscaped areas throughout the Sanctuary
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Experience:
- Must be personally committed to the Mission and Core Values of the Best Friends Animal Society
- Minimum 3 years experience in landscaping preferred
- Minimum 2 years experience in a leadership role a plus
- Completion of a Master Gardener course or the willingness to complete within 1 year
- Experience operating and maintaining landscape equipment and tools
- A positive attitude and ability to adapt to challenging situations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- General basic computer skills required; email, calendar & internet applications
- Sensitivity to environmental stewardship and industry best practices
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' positions on issues
- Must be able to routinely lift and carry 80 pounds.
- Must be able to work outdoors for prolonged periods in all weather conditions with temperatures ranging from below freezing to above 100 degrees.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity daily, including, but not limited to: climbing up and down ladders, lifting and carrying, reaching, stooping, squatting, cleaning and bending.
- Must have a valid driver's license with a 3-year clean driving record
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.