Location: Kanab, Utah
Summary: The Dogtown Director is a key leader, strategically and progressively helping the Sanctuary Animal Care team achieve the greatest lifesaving impact and visitor engagement in support of Best Friends Animal Society's no-kill mission and goals. Overseeing one of the largest teams at the Sanctuary the Dogtown Director has responsibility for nearly forty buildings, approximately fifty staff and nearly 400 dogs in-care on an average day. This position is the Sanctuary based resource for Best Friends' regional centers, national programs, and Network Partners relating to dogs.
Purpose: To lead an efficient and effective Dogtown team, focusing on outcomes, animal care, visitor engagement, and employee success. While this role is responsible for Dogtown, additional assignments may be assigned in other programs or areas, based on organizational need.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A minimum four years of professional leadership experience required with a background managing dog populations in group housing or sheltering living situations preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience developing and implementing department level strategic plans, including change management, ensuring alignment with organizational goals and priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills,
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with well-developed organization skills.
- Ability to speak on, and professionally advocate for, Best Friends' position on issues, including public speaking, creating presentations and consulting.
Physical & Other Requirements:
- Routinely lift 50 pounds and perform daily strenuous activity including, but not limited to lifting, carrying, reaching, stooping, squatting, cleaning, and bending.
- Work at a computer or driving a car for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, sitting, arm, and hand motion.
- Work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions including extreme heat and cold.
- Daily exposure to dogs, cats and other animals of all sizes, temperaments, and medical status.
- Valid driver's license with ability to travel, including overnight stays, when needed.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule; position includes weekends, nights and holiday work.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.