Location: Kanab, Utah
Angels Rest is a beautiful final resting place for our dearly departed furry and feathered loves ones. Far from depressing, it's truly a place of healing. We need someone with kind and compassionate people-skills as well as excellent organizational abilities to coordinate pet placements, keep databases, handle expenses, sometimes handle the actual placings, take charge of many other practical duties, and most importantly, be a warm presence for people at a difficult time.
The Angels Rest Caretaker has the very special responsibility of placing Sanctuary and Best Friends animals who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge. This person also participates in the monthly Blessings for Sanctuary animals who have passed. This requires a keen sensitivity to the grief of those who have lost a loved one. This person must be emotionally supportive to caregivers and members and conduct all services with reverence and respect. Additionally, this position provides regular maintenance of the grounds of Angels Rest and Angels Overlook.
The caretaker must be comfortable interacting with Sanctuary visitors and volunteers, directing members to specific site locations and occasionally leading a tour group. This important front facing opportunity means that this position requires a commitment to the mission and goals of Best Friends Animal Society.
- Placements and services in Angels Rest and Angels Overlook for animals and cremains from the Sanctuary and Best Friends members.
- Cemetery site preparation for the placement of animals and cremains.
- Regular maintenance of the grounds including sweeping, weeding, picking up trash, picking up fallen wind chimes, repairing broken wind chimes, pruning bushes and trees, planting bushes and straightening markers.
- Placement and maintenance of memorials including wind chimes, dedication plaques and granite stones and other personal memorials.
- Participate in the monthly Blessing service for Sanctuary animals who have passed.
- Engrave memorials using an engraving machine.
- Operate and maintain tools and equipment.
- Keep the tool shed in order and request necessary supplies, grave markers and pavers.
- Meet and greet visitors at Angels Rest and Angels Overlook and assist them in locating specific animal sites as needed.
- Work with volunteers on service projects for upkeep of the cemetery grounds.
- Conduct special Blessings for VIP group visits.
- Lead special tour for VIP group visits.
- Update map sites to ensure theyre current.
- Accompany workshop attendee tours of Angels Rest and answer any questions.
- Follow safe work practices and observe safety precautions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Must possess a respectful attitude and be emotionally supportive to Best Friends caregivers and the public.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Able to meet, greet and assist visitors and volunteers.
- Should have a basic knowledge of methods, tools, equipment, materials and practices used in construction and maintenance.
- Must be able to make sound judgments in sensitive situations.
- Must have basic computer skills, including email and Google docs.
- Able to work independently and follow through on projects without direct supervision.
- Must have a valid drivers license with three years clean driving record.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends position on issues.
- Must be able to share in the lifting of 100 pounds on a regular basis in order to perform animal placements and perform other caretaker duties.
- Must be able to regularly work outdoors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to 100 degrees in order to perform the caretaker duties.
- Must be physically able to perform strenuous manual labor on a daily basis in order to perform the caretaker duties.
- Must have the ability to sustain prolonged periods of standing, stooping, reaching and climbing on a daily basis in order to perform the caretaker duties.
- Manual dexterity, coordination, agility, strength and stamina is important in order to perform the care taker duties.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.